Enjoying the Garden

Don’t you love sitting outside and just enjoying the garden you’ve created? Contemplating the beauty you’ve created, smelling the fragrance, listening to the birds, watching the bees and butterflies appreciating your work?

I don’t. I mean, I can’t.

I’ve tried. I sit on the patio and look around, and instantly what I see isn’t the good things but the things that need to be done.

Gold variegated polemonium 'Brise d'Anjou'

Gold variegated polemonium ‘Brise d’Anjou’

I need to pull those weeds. I need to cut back that plant. I have too many polemoniums (Jacob’s Ladder) and need to pull 90% of them out. Actually, I’d like to pull them all out and replace the remaining 10% of space with a variegated version! But I can’t put those in the same place, because there’s not enough sun to keep the variegation from reverting the following year (that’s what happened to the glorious ‘Brise d’Anjou’ variety at right). Or maybe it would work, because when the huge tree limb fell it opened that bed up to more sun.

Dwarf false cypresses from Bloom River Gardens: 'Cumulus' on left, 'White Pygmy' on right.

Dwarf false cypresses from Bloom River Gardens: ‘Cumulus’ on left, ‘White Pygmy’ on right.

I don’t like that hosta, it’s boring, take it out. All those plants in pots still need to be put into the ground. Where am I going to plant the ‘Shaina’ Japanese maple? What about the two dwarf chamaecyparis (false cypress) currently in planters? Can’t put them where the last pair went, because those died. Could I overwinter them in the garage? They won’t get any sunlight there. Write to the vendor and ask. .

What can I use in place of the white bush clover, since it grew poorly where I wanted it and then suddenly disappeared (I think it must need more shade, but it didn’t die – it’s just GONE)? Why did the white campanula carpatica vanish (same thing)? God but I need to add some brown stuff to the compost and mix it all up.

Sedum 'Postman's Pride' with reverted shoots at left

Reverted shoots of sedum ‘Postman’s Pride.’

I sure need to move the Rose of Sharon somewhere sunnier. Ditto the compost bin. The ‘Diablo’ ninebark (physocarpus) is too big for where it is. I need to get all the reverted shoots out of the ‘Postman’s Pride’ sedum (to left of dark leaves in picture. The white variegated sedum is ‘Frosty Morn’) and plant them elsewhere.

Got to deadhead more of the thrice-be-damned ligularias.

The list goes on and on, and this is only the back yard! It isn’t five minutes before I’m out of my chair and working.

And today I can’t work. My low back is killing me, in spite of Advil and some excellent topical pain cream applied directly to the area.

The most frustrating thing is, the weather is perfection today for gardening. No, I can’t sit outside in a chair and enjoy what I’ve already done. It would be too frustrating.

Share post on: Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditlinkedinmail
Follow me on: twitterpinterest
This entry was posted in General Gardening, Physical and Mental Health and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *